It’s no secret that diet and nutrition directly impact your overall health, and the right choices can prevent disease, strengthen your immune system, and help you maintain a healthy weight. But did you know that there are certain foods that may actually boost fertility? If you’re embarking on a North Houston IVF journey, it might be helpful to consider adding certain foods to your diet that could increase your chances of a successful pregnancy.
Foods Our North Houston Fertility Clinic Specialists Recommend During IVF Treatment
If you’re looking to achieve a successful IVF pregnancy at our Kingwood fertility clinic or The Woodlands fertility clinic, we recommend a diet rich in antioxidants, whole grains, and healthy fats. The following foods may be helpful to those looking to optimize their fertility diet:
- Citrus fruits: vitamin C has been touted to improve the health of semen and ova. Squeeze some lemon or lime juice into your ice water or slice some oranges in the morning to snack on throughout the day.
- Full-fat dairy: Full-fat dairy is rich in saturated fats, which can boost fertility and reduce the likelihood of ovulation problems. Swap your skim milk for whole milk and reach for full-fat yogurt and cheese options instead of those labeled low-fat or fat-free.
- Oysters: Oysters contain a plethora of fertility-boosting nutrients such as vitamin B12, zinc, and iron. Raw oysters should only be consumed before the embryo transfer, but fully-cooked oysters are safe to eat at any time in the IVF process.
- Eggs: Eggs–especially the yolks–are packed with omega-3 fatty acids, vitamins A and E, and are a great source of protein. Scramble a few for breakfast or keep some hard-boiled eggs in the fridge for a healthy afternoon snack.
- Pineapple: Pineapples are rich in bromelain, which reduces inflammation and boosts your immune system. Since chronic inflammation has been suggested to suppress ovulation, bromelain is a good addition to your fertility diet. Many grocery stores carry freshly-sliced pineapple in their produce sections, making it even easier to enjoy.
Foods to Avoid While Undergoing Kingwood IVF Or The Woodlands IVF Treatment
When following a healthy fertility diet, what you don’t eat can be just as important as what you do. Some foods and beverages can prevent proper ovulation, increase inflammation, and raise insulin levels, all of which can affect your chances for a successful IVF pregnancy. Our North Houston fertility clinic specialists recommend avoiding the following:
- Refined carbohydrates: White bread, pasta, and sugary foods and drinks all cause your blood sugar to spike quickly, affecting insulin levels in the body. Elevated insulin can negatively impact reproductive hormones and stunt egg maturation.
- Trans fats: Like refined carbohydrates, trans fats can also affect your insulin levels, so stay away from fried foods and overly processed products that contain hydrogenated vegetable oil.
- Alcohol: High alcohol consumption has long been associated with infertility, and even moderate alcohol consumption should be avoided during your North Houston IVF process, especially following embryo transfer.
Discuss Your Fertility Diet Options At Our North Houston Fertility Clinic
Making the right choices during the IVF process can increase your chances for a successful pregnancy, so request an appointment to our Kingwood fertility clinic or The Woodlands fertility clinic; we’ll answer your questions, suggest ways to promote a healthy lifestyle, and offer you the support you need during your North Houston IVF journey.